Saturday, October 5, 2019

Week 6 in the Office

It's conference weekend my dudes

This week was pretty good. Working was kinda complicated because Elder Wilcox was pretty sick for most of the week. But I was able to get out most of the time still. We were able to find one dude that we contacted named Renzo. We found him, realized that he was pretty cool and took him to a park to teach him. He really liked the idea of going to church and accepted a baptismal date for the  2 of November. It's kinda hard communicating with him because he's studying and stuff nonstop. But we have faith that he will progress and enjoy conference this weekend. Speaking of which, I am super excited for it. Everyone stop what you´re doing and go watch it right now. Conference weekend has gotta be my favorite time of the year as a missionary. There's so much spiritual edification. I know that Russell M Nelson, the apostles, and all of the other general authorities of the church that will speak to us are men called of God. I know that if Jesus were here to talk to us, he'd be telling us the same things they have to say to us today and tomorrow. I love this work and I love the Lord. Have a good week!

Saturday
We're all gonna die, some sooner than others of course.  I probably won't die for a while.  But when we do, I know that we'll go to the spirit world.  I know that if we choose the right and faithfully live the gospel, then we'll go to spiritual paradise.  I know that that's where a lot of my family is right now.  I also know that there's a lot of missionary work to be done for those in spirit prison.  The gospel must still be preached.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Last night I had a dream that I was suddenly home from my mission.  I was so lost and confused and disappointed.  I remember more than anything being sad that I never had a final interview with President.  I didn't like that dream very much.  We had planned to get up early to go play soccer against zone central.  But then Elder Armstrong and Elder Pardo had to make a midnight trip to the clinic and didn't get home until 2:30.  When they did though, Elder Pardo walked in and announced that we'd have to get up at 5:30 to get there in time.  At 5:50 he walked into our room to get us up, but we were like, "It's too late," so he went back to bed.  We had hoped to go to Centro de Lima for pday, but we didn't per permission.  So instead we really just hung out in the office all day.  I somehow stink at rolling dice, so I 'm not very good at Risk. hehe  Oh well though.  Internet was kinda crazy.  Danielle and Hannah both randomly became missionaries without telling me.  Taylor Kimball got a new girlfriend and Taylor Kapp got married.  Danielle is going to Justin's mission though so that's kinda cool.  We all watched Toy Story 4.  It's much better when it's in English and not horribly pirated.  There were some funny parts, but it was a little unnecessary to be made.  We also agreed that it was designed to be appealing to feminists, which unfortunately seems to be the case with many movies nowadays.  *cough cough Star Wars 8*  Anyways, I did a video call with my family today.  They seem to all be doing well.  Jaxon and I teased my mom a lot. hahaha  Nothing overly exciting happened while we were contacting today.  We went to go visit la familia Velasquez so that Elder Tenney could say bye.  Hermana Juana made tequeños for dinner tonight.

Sunday
I know that Jesus will come again.  And when he does, everyone that has ever lived upon the Earth will be resurrected.  I know that when we do, our bodies will be perfect and we will never taste death again.  We will live upon the Earth in a perfect, happy time of 1000 years when Christ reigns and Satan will have no power over anyone because no one will have any desire whatsoever to listen to him.  I know that all of this is true according to His eternal plan of Happiness because He loves us.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  Today was Elder Tenney's birthday, and also his last day in Covima.  Only Marleni came to church for us today.  While I was extremely happy to see her there, I was also a tad bit disappointed that no one else went.  To be kinda honest, I got pretty bored at church.  The talks weren't overly exciting and all we did the second hour was listen to a broadcast about the new youth program in the church.  There were 2 nonmembers there, but they lived in other zones.  Once of them was a black dude with dreads and a bandana.  He was cool.  On our way to lunch, we walked past these Venezuelans by a moving truck.  So I tried to contact them and they asked me if I could help them get this fridge off the truck so I was like, "Heck yeah man!"  So we got it down only to find myself carrying it up to the 5th floor, that and 2 couches and a bunch of boxes too.  It was a nice little service that they appreciated a lot.  They'll get baptized in the near future.  Lunch was huge.  A big bowl of pasta salad, lomo saltado, jello and flan, and cake.  We were all dying trying to eat all that food.  We ran back to the office for weekly planning after.  We went to say bye to Gustavo and Andrea and they gave us pancakes.  Then we took Andrea to go visit Marleni.  Andrea is a great hermanadora.  Marleni is super cool.  She has high desires to get baptized.  La U played against Alianza tonight in the stadium right by our area.  La U gano (won) 1-0.  People weren't excited or crazy like I thought they'd be, but it was still kind of a peligroso (dangerous) environment.  Alianza fans aren't allowed in because they killed one a few years back.  Anywho, we went and visited a member family.  Then we visited a lady and gave a blessing.  That awkward moment when you accidentally dump half your oil vial out.  A bunch of converts met up with us at Hermana Juana's for a small get together.

Monday
I know that there are 3 kingdoms of glory.  I know that eternal life in the Celestial kingdom of Heaven is where God wants all of his children to be.  That's why he gave us his gospel--to progress so that we can come to be perfect as he is.  I know that it's possible for all of God's children.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
To be able to get there, we're all going to be judged according to our works, including the man below us, as a random, non specific example.  After getting back tonight, Elder Pardo and I started taking apart the bunk bed at about 10:50 PM since Elder Tenney's gone.  While doing so, I happened to look at the doorway of our bedroom to see the man that lives downstairs glaring at us.  I said, "Can I help you?"  He just pointed to his ear.  He refused to leave our room.  Elder Wilcox and I got him to follow us to the doorway of the apartment, though he refused to step foot outside.  He said he came up because we were making too much noise moving furniture, "as always".  He didn't knock nor shout, nor had I ever heard a complaint from him about noise before.  All 6 of us were there, including Elder Pedrozo and Elder Taylor.  He said that "since we showed him disrespect by being noisy, he was being disrespectful by trespassing so that we'd understand".  We were all roasting him saying that we were sorry about the noise, but he was breaking the law and needed to leave.  (We were almost all outside and he was in the doorway with a few behind him.)  We argued about basically the same thing (he said noise + trespass = same), so I went and got the building dueñas, who happen to be members.  They said the same thing and he still didn't listen, so I threatened to call the cops and he said, "Do it."  Then the dueña said something to the extent of, "He'd have every reason to.  You're lucky we haven't called the cops sooner because I've received various complaints saying they smell smoked marijuana coming from your room."  We were all just like, "Oh snap.  Did she really just go there?"  "My 14 year old son doesn't smoke marijuana!  How would YOU know what it smells like unless YOU've smoked it?"  Bruh.  Another 20 minutes later he went down finally.  The ironically funny part?  He's a lawyer!  Hahahaha!  Later the dueña came back up with her brother and he was like, "I'm a lawyer from the State.  That was a straight up felony here.  You should consider taking him to court."  Even though it'd be cool to be rich, we can't get the church involved in that.  Other stuff that happened today?  Elder Pardo and I fought with perfume and a dueño canceled his bank account the day before I paid him and he didn't tell me.

Tuesday
I've said it before and I'll say it again: obedience bring blessings.  There is a linear graph of blessing with obedience on the x-axis and blessings received on the y-axis.  God is a God of justice, that's why the graph has to be linear.  The Lord will bless us immediately in accordance to our level of obedience.  I know that as we obey the commandments we will prosper in the land.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Last night after the whole thing, I couldn't help but whisper, "Sshh, shut up," whenever someone made noise.  Other things that happened yesterday:  Peru fell into a political crisis.  Basically what happened was that the President of  Peru wanted to pass some anti-corruption laws and congress is super corrupt (a bunch of them haven't even graduated from high school) and the congress was in session about it a super long time because they obviously didn't want it to pass.  So the president fulfilled a threat that he made to them since they were taking so long--he ended the congress and called for new elections to be held in January for the congress.  So the congress got super upset and in a matter of a couple of hours impeached him (which they had no power to do) and chose a new female president.  It would be kinda serious and scary, but the congressmen are the only people in the entire world that recognize her as president.  So people protested (peacefully) all over Peru today.  Their nonsense will end soon.  Yesterday we also drove Elder Nichols to Lima Central to drop him off so that he could say bye to his converts and go home.  Elder Artega also went home.  Ok.  So this morning we went to the leadership council thing for lunch.  I'm going to be cracking down on charging missionaries for things when they need to be charged.  Save the mission a bit of money since we're about 4% over budget the last time I checked.  Elder Petersen got kinda sick, so he's gong to be coming to stay with us in the office for a bit, probably the rest of the month.  We're good friends, so it'll be good to have him around.  Fun fact: back when I was in Manchay, right after I arrived we started getting a bunch of texts from Direct TV for some dude with a 277.01 PEN bill.  It went from reminders about "pay before the deadline" to "bro its past the deadline" to "Dude we're gonna take you to court" to "saddle up Bessie we're filin' paperwork".  We'd get various automated calls a day, but I never cared.  Maybe I should do something about that.

Wednesday
I know that the temple is the house of the Lord.  I know that it is a place of great tranquility and joy.  I know that it is there that we can make covenants with God that can and will bless us in this life, and also in the eternities.  I know that when I get married there, I'll be able to live with my family always and forever.  I am very grateful to have been born in the covenant.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
As you may have guessed, we went to the temple this morning.  Elder Wilcox woke up super sick this morning, but he was able to do a session before crashing the rest of the day.  It was a really nice session.  The workers told us that missionaries can participate in the prayer circle now.  Interesting change.  I kinda liked it.  Elder Pardo spent an extra hour and 15 minutes inside and I was the one that got to stay with him.  From there we went back to the office and grabbed a bunch of stuff to take to the bank so that I could get our caja chica reimbursed.  I didn't really know what I was doing when I got to the bank, but I got the 10,000 PEN with out any problems.  It did feel a little weird walking around with so much money at once though.  It was in dire need since I hadn't had it for about a week.  I had also told a bunch of people who needed money to come by when I got it.  So between an emergency fund that I had to reimburse (which I'm also technically not supposed to have) and the people who came, I used s/2,200 within the first hour of having it.  It's been a stressful time in the office as of late.  I'll get over it though.  You know what I just realized?  I have pepper spray.  If I ever see a lost lawyer in my house again, I might have to use it.  We visited Armstrong's investigators tonight.  They're super pale.  I looked down at my plaque and could've sworn I saw it say, "Elder a little less white than this family."

Thursday
I know that there are great blessings that come as we study the scriptures.  Looking back, I can see a significant difference between the times in my life when I have and haven't been consistently studying the scriptures.  I know that the scriptures are the word of God and that if we live by the principles that they teach us, we will be doing what he hopes for us and will be living in such a way that we will be spiritually strong, despite the temptations and trials that surround us.  I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that having a stronger testimony of it is something that we must strive for daily.  All we need to do is study it and then pray about it to be able to get a confirmation.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Ok, last thing that happened on Monday.  Elder Wilcox, Elder Petersen and I were out contacting in a trio and Elder Petersen contacted a youth named Renzo.  We were able to take him to a nearby park to talk to him.  We were able to have him accept a baptismal date for the 2 of November, but we'll see what happens since we won't see him again 'til Sunday.  When it was over he said to us, "By the way, I'm 19, not 18.  I just said that because I thought you guys were gonna rob me."  That part was kinda weird.  Well Elder Wilcox was sick yesterday and today he woke up feeling about the same.  He got a little worse even throughout the day.  Elder Armstrong wound up taking him to the clinic so that he could get an IV during the night.  Today I spent 90% of my time working on the end of month expense report.  As soon as I was done I had to turn around and photocopy the whole thing, including all the receipts.  Santa Clara was here for interviews today.  At one point President walked in and asked if I had the housing report ready yet for him.  I hadn't even started it yet so he got after me a bit.  (He had told me that he didn't need it until later in the week, so that's why I hadn't started.)  I've been pretty stressed lately, enough where other Elders easily take notice and I can't focus in district meeting.  Our cita with Marleni tonight went well.

Friday
"I freaking hate this crap!" --Tim the Canadian Peruvian in his heavy southern accent as two dudes smoking marijuana walked past.  That was 2 weeks ago now, but it's still pretty funny.  Anyway.  I know that Sabbath Day observance brings a multitude of blessings.  I know it's a sacrifice, but that's why the Lord blesses us when we do.  I know that if we sacrifice working that day, then the Lord will bless us with more success the rest of the week--enough so that it will be sufficient for our needs if not more.  We will be more in time with the spirit as you keep this critical commandment.  I have a feeling that this commandment will give me trouble later.  I talked to president about it once and asked him if this commandment should alter my career choice. He told me the Lord needed all sorts of professionals in his kingdom.  He also brought up how President Nelson has probably had to work a Sunday or two as a doctor and was still a very consecrated man.  We reached the conclusion is that it's really your mindset and desires and actions you take when possible when it really comes down to it.  I know that I can do all things according to my faith in Christ.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
The Book of Mormon video this morning was pretty solid.  I really enjoy watching those.  Today was super busy, but thankfully it wasn't overly stressful.  I wound up working on that report for President for most of the day.  I got it to look pretty nice at the end.  I'm proud of it.  Now my big task is to get the rest of the 24 houses in the mission ready to pay electronically.  So I sent out an email to each missionary, house by house, that didn't have the stuff ready.  I want to get this all done before November.  I had to stay in the office until 7 because there were dudes there installing smoke detectors.  Andrea called us and told us she was at the temple with Ciara.  So I called the assistants and got permission to go there to teach her.  Not gonna lie, that was super dope.  But man, I don't know if Ciara is really an escogida.  She doesn't respond to questions.  And then when we ask her about baptism, she says, "I don't know," and then stays quiet.  She likes church though.  Elder Wilcox is better, but we came in early because the cold air was making him cough a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment