Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Week 5 in Alameda (Merry Christmas!)

Merry Christmas everyone! This week was pretty cool. It flew by super fast. On Saturday we had another baptism. Jherson is a pretty cool dude. It's kind of a blessing for people like him if you ask me. Since the church lost his registers and there's no pictures or anything, he had the opportunity to have the missionaries come to his house and teach and he was able to be baptized again. He needed it anyways since he was inactive too. I consider that a huge blessing. The service was really well. We continue to have success here in Alameda. I seriously love this ward and couldn't be happier than I am right now. Elder Mayta and I continue to get along pretty well. This week we went Christmas caroling as a zone a couple times in plaza vitarte and set up an info table sorta thing. I feel like that was a really great way to help share the gospel. I really enjoyed that activity. I did intercambios with Elder Dantas this past week too. We had a fun night of contacting in his area. The ccm came to our zone for an attack, so that was cool. I always really enjoy it when they do that. But yeah, other than that, not a whole lot else went down this week. It does stand out to me though how God has a way of having people in the right place at the right time. Have yourself a happy holidays!

-Elder White
Monday
Internet is always the fasted 2 hours of the week.  I got an email from William, so that was a pleasant little surprise.  He was a good friend for a long time, but then we kinda stopped hanging out after I moved.  I don't know why.  I regret letting that happen though.  I wonder what Tye Leavitt is up to nowadays.  Kinda of a similar circumstance there.  I emailed a couple of friends that are on missions and they seem to be dong well, so that's good.  Then we went to Plaza Vitarte to call home and arrange the Skype call.  My mom sent me her phone number in the email and I was kinda like, "C'mon.  Of course I remember your number."  But when I sat down, I forgot what it was for a minute or two.  That was the fastest 5 minutes ever.  It was nice though, a little awkward because I didn't know what to say.  I got pretty trunky after that.  On the way home, we stopped by Ceres, which is La Quince, but on 3 or 4 steroids.  I found this super cool soccer jersey shop.  I was looking at the World Cup ones and the dude was like, "We've got one from all those countries.  Where are your from?"  "Uh, the US."  We both kinda just sat there awkwardly for a minute then I just said, "Yeah....we stunk this year."  I'll go back there when I have money.  During lunch we went to a restaurant.  I asked for a mestrito, which is 1/8 of a pollo chaufa and fries.  But then the lady was like, "We're out of the 1/8 pollo.  We've only got 1/4 pollo.  You can upgrade to the mostro with 1/4 pollo for only 2 soles more though."  Many, I wasn't about to pay extra.  So I got something else.  Afterwards it occurred to me: You've got 1/4 pollos but not 1/8?  Something's not right here.  We came back to the room and found the dude drilled the 2 holes for our door.  Now if there's ever a bear attack in our room, we can successfully lock him in our bathroom.  We've even got the fake door handle to fool him.  I thought I was running low on my allowance, but I found 50 soles of it tucked away.  Merry Christmas Elder White.  I was thinking, "Shoot man, I swear I didn't buy that many cookies."  There's these really good jumbo cookies that this one bakery sells for 5/.70 whiles everyone else sells them for more than twice as much.  In the US it was, "Is this worth 3 pizzas?"  But here it's, "Is this worth 5 cookies?"  Revolutionary.  We went to go visit la familia Piña.  But the dad didn't accept fecha, so I just left a chapter in the good 'ole LDM for him to read since he hadn't read it before.  His wife and daughter are super good members but he's "Catholic".  We passed for the Astuhuaman's, but only Angie was there.  We got talking and put a fecha for 12 Enero (January).  We'll see if she sticks to it though.

Tuesday
Last night when we were talking to Angie, a 10 or so year old girl came up to their shop.  She handed Angie a 5/20 and Angie gave her a bottle of wine.  That was really surprising and odd.  We were like, "Chica.....What is you doing?  Why?"  She said with just a hint of sass, "Porque quiero (Because I want to)," and walked off.  Long story short, we need to review the word of wisdom with the Astuhuaman's.  This morning we had a consejo de distrito.  It was pretty boring.  We had a cita with Jherson today and we brought a friend too.  We asked him if he was excited for his baptism on Saturday.  He told us he was having some second thoughts and didn't feel ready for this week, maybe next week he said.  So we talked with him and did the pre-entrevista with him.  At the end we were like, "See man?  You're cool beans!  You're ready."  He responded, "Oh shoot, you're right."  Leave my investigators alone Satan.  Why don't you just go hide under that rock over there.  Jherson had had a lot of chores to do, but he stopped to listen to us.  So we helped him after.  One of his chores was to peel the potatoes.  The peeler was weird thought in the way that I had to use it lefty to avoid cutting towards my body.  Can anybody tell me why I was so much faster than everyone else?  All they eat are potatoes.  So  why did a gringo leave them in the dust?  Maybe I'm just a super human potato peeler.  My English class had a really good turnout.  We arranged a cita with a nonmember that came.  Afterwards we had a correlacion.  We had a rep from almost every auxiliary and it was super effective.  I seriously love this ward.  Question of the day:  Why is it so fetching hot here all the time?  Follow up question of the day:  And why does everyone keep telling me this is mild and that January and February are worse?  If you don't hear from me someday, it's probably because I got heatstroke and died.  I miss the cold.  Here's something cool:  There is power in Christ's name and in his image as well.  We'll use the dogs as an example.  When the dogs are barking at us, I'll just show them a picture of Jesus.  They'll always stop barking and stop to examine my tarjeta.  Then they'll almost always walk away without doing anything else.  Sometimes they'll take a step back and get even more aggressive, but that just means that that dog has a devil.  But yeah, that's some pretty cool stuff.

Wednesday
Today was pretty long.  Almost everything fell today.  Our citas weren't home.  We were supposed to have Jherson's entrevista hoy en la capilla, pero nunc vino (have Jherson's interview today in the chapel but he never came).  He doesn't have a cell phone or anything, so we couldn't communicate really.  So it got to be kinda frustrating today. We passed by Jherson's house later and said, "Dude, what happened?"  Apparently he was out Christmas shopping longer than he'd thought.  My man got so concerned about Jesus that he accidentally forgot about Jesus.  We had tried taking our laundry to the Ñaña earlier, but she wasn't home.  We figured it was ok and that we could bring it later since the ward NDH was at her house.  Long story short, that almost fell too, but instead we just started 40 minutes late.  I was in charge of the lesson.  I was wanting to share another story from the Bible, but then I was like, "Nah.  These people don't know the Book of Mormon well enough."  So I paralleled Nephi getting the brass plates to a guide of how to obey the commandments.  It was an ok lesson, nothing special.  Let's talk Christmas.  The nativity scenes are fairly popular here.  There are somethings off about them though.  The only way I could put it is that they're more catholic than normal.  That and for some reason they use an adult Jesus in place of baby Jesus.  If they really want to believe that he was born a 30 year-old man, I'm not going to stop them.  It wouldn't be the weirdest belief I've found down here.  On Christmas Eve, they start cooking at noon.  At some point in the night, fireworks start.  Like, a lot of them.  And they don't slow down 'til about 1 AM.  As soon as the clock strikes midnight, everyone starts eating their big dinner.  Then after dinner, they open their presents at 1 AM or so.  Almost everyone has decorations inside their homes.  But less have lights outside their house.  The people with lights usually pop up in groups.  The park out front of Oswaldo's house is crazy.  But yeah, that's the Peruvian Navidad in a nut shell.  I got tired of people forcing their doctrine on me in contacts sometimes, so I made a couple of sticky notes to defend the restoration or show them why their doctrine is wrong and put them in my pocket bible.  I'm not looking for contention, but if they start it, I've got some verses on stand-by ready to roast them.

Thursday
How hot was it today?  I sweat through all the clothing on my back, including the top of my pants and the first part of my backpack.  It looked like I had showered with my clothes on.  Sure can't wait 'til summer.  We went to the dentist again.  While I was waiting, I was readying Jesus the Christ.  At one point it occurred to me that I had read 2 chapters.  I was like, "Wow. they sure are going ham on him today.  Taking their time too."  I looked up  too see how he was doing and the assistant lady was heating the poky thingy, or the mini Captain Hook's hook, or more commonly referred to by dentists as the "explorer".  (Because they're exploring in a what way they can inflict maximum suffering.)  That dental device is feared by everyone of all ages.  Looked like they were gonna brand my man's mouth so that the other dentists would stay away.  I didn't stop them though.  I'm not about to get branded and unintentionally start and dentist gang war when I get home and have a checkup with my dad.  We contacted for the first half of the day.  Then we were kinda just looking around for antiguo investigatores (old investigators).  We found one girl named Mafer that seems to have some good potential.  After that, we went and had a cita with Charo and Carlos to get to know them better and see if they had any references.  They're a really cool family.  They have a daughter serving in Chile too.  Pictures with them and their family:





We swung by the capilla because it was open and found Jean Franco, Angii and some other youth hanging out and dancing a bit.  So I crashed the party with my dance moves.  I didn't really dance before my mission, but I enjoy it now though. We walked with Jean Franco and Angii back to their house for our cita that we scheduled.  As we were walking past my favorite bakery I mentioned the 5/.70 cookies.  They were like, ¿En serio? Vamanos!"  We got to their house though and Mario wasn't home.  While we were waiting, Jean Franco and I started fooling around with the soccer ball, juggling and playing keep away and stuff.  I'm still not a Latino when it comes to soccer.  Turns out that Junior ran away, so that's pretty depressing.   Mario got back kinda late, so all we did really was chat a bit and get them to sign the permiso for Angii.  At one point Elva asked, "Do I need one of these if I want to get baptized too?"  We didn't want to try and put a fecha on anyone though without teaching first, por si acuso.  That made me smile though.  When I got home and changed, all my clothes were just damp.  I had to leave my pants out to dry before putting them away.

Friday
First day of summer.  This is where the fun begins.  This morning we went to the stake center and we ate breakfast as a zone.  From there the zone leaders told us each to go find a room and do our personal studies and stuff like normal and then to meet back after.  They only gave us yogurt and cookies for breakfast though, so that was kind of disappointing.  After studies, we had a district testimony meeting as a zone.  That was pretty cool.  Some of those guys have some interesting stories.  After that, we went home and ate lunch and then went and stopped by Jherson's.  He was pretty sick, but we were like, "You ready for your entrevista in a bit?"  "Uh....."  "Awesome!  Let's go!"  His entrevista took a bit longer than normal because we ran into some unexpected obstacles, but we got it all sorted out and we're all good to go for his baptism tomorrow.  After the interview, I went with Elder Dantas to his area in Los Angles for an intercambio.  He's a pretty funny dude.  We spent the whole day contacting.  Their area has a lot of strip clubs, so that was an interesting change.  At one point in the day I made a contact and made a cita to go back and visit him later.  When we went back at night, we realized it was a fake phone number and address.  We were standing their when I young man with long curly hair wearing a trench coat said Hola to us from across the street.  My initial reaction was that he was high or something.  But we went over to talk to talk him.  Turns out he wasn't high, but his name was Jeremy and he used to talk to the missionaries here a couple of months ago.  So we went to the park and sat down to teach him.  He was pretty cool.  He accepted a baptismal date and everything.  We'll see if he goes to church though.  God has a funny way of having people in the right place at the right time.  For example, when we talked to Mafer the other day, she told us that her member friend had been talking to her about going back to church just the day before.

Saturday
Elder Dantas has an alarm for 2:30 AM.  He says it's for the satisfaction of being able to wake up in the middle of the night with the comfort of knowing that you still have several more hours to sleep.  He's kinda right.  I am still having inconvenient  issues with my stomach.  Oh well.  I bought an air horn this afternoon; let the pranks begin.  Probably some of the best 3 soles I've spent.  This morning we had a coro in plaza Vitarte carols in the plaza Vitarte). 

 We stood in the sun for a bit more than 2 hours though.  It was cool though because some of the lyrics really struck a chord with me.  It seems to have been a really effective way of getting people interested and take citas too.  After doing all that as a zone, we split up for lunch.  The zone leaders were going to make us go back to our area for lunch, but Elder Mayta and I were like, "No way, Jose.  We're too busy with too little time to do that."  So we got permission to eat there.  We had a CCM attack right after.  We all went to Amauta to do that attack.  I was with Elder McClellan.

 He's coming to our mission and is pretty cool.  We had to leave a bit early though for Jherson's baptism.  Good thing too, because there wasn't a whole lot of shade there.  Between that and the choir thing, I got sunburned decently bad all over.  I got crap from everyone the rest of the day.  It's not my fault that white people are basically chameleons.  The baptism was real nice.  The ordinance went really smoothly.  It's a miracle that Jherson was feeling better.  We had Abuid, one of his friends, perform the baptism.


 
Jherson's crazy uncle was there, but he didn't do anything too weird, so that was good.  When we had correlations on Tuesday, the ward council asked us if we had our number ready for the ward talent show.  There were a ton of people there, the entire ward I'd say and more.  Mafer went with her member friend too, so that was great.  Peruvians like really loud music.  It was less of a talent show and more of a party, so we almost got out of our duet since the environment wasn't right for Silent Night.  But they made us sing anyways.  Neither of us can sing though.  But it's ok because I got like 6 cups of hot chocolate after.

Sunday
I had the weirdest dream last night.  I woke up and I was in the CCM with no recollection of how I had gotten there.  And it was in Uncle Paul's basement.  Joe was with me though, so that was cool.  I was kinda panicking though because I was out of my area and not with my companion.  So I used Joe's phone to call Elder Mayta to tell him I'd be right there.  So I went outside and I saw that Uncle Paul was adding a 3rd story onto his house and that there were several houses around that were under construction too.  And they were all made out of brick.  Uncle Paul came up to me and said, "Man, I sure wish I had used wood to build my house."  I asked him if he could give me lift back to my area.  He agreed, so I said, "Do you know where kiosko azul is?"  (That's the bus stop for la capilla.)  He didn't so I asked him if he knew Vitarte.  He said, "Of course!"  I explained it was 30 minutes away, but I think it might actually be a bit father than that.  He was like, "We'll take the river.  It's faster."  He tossed the tarp off a jet ski and then literally threw it in the river.  I got on it with him and we took a rather exciting trip down the river to my area, all while I still had Joe's phone in my hand.  So yeah, that's that.  Church was pretty nice this morning.  Jherson got confirmed, we sang some hymns, and the same piano boy as last time passed out again as soon as the meeting ended.  He's probably ok though.  I guess this is the 3rd time it's happened.  We had a consejo de barrio to plan an activity for New Years.  For lunch we ate with Charo y Carlos.  They served everyone else aji de gallina, but they gave me bistek and french fries.  How awesome is that?  Then we went out and I got some good contacting in.  Then I got permission from my boy Elder Van Tassell to take something for my stomach.  From there, we all went to Plaza Vitarte to do another zone choir and sing for a couple of hours.



I enjoy these activities.  I fell like I'm just now beginning to grasp the significance of everything.  But anyways, Alfredo and Celia are out of town for the holidays, so Oswaldo's familiy (Herrera) is our temporary pension.  They had Dunkin' Doughnuts waiting for us.

I almost cried real man tears again.  Zoraima told us she'd make crepes tomorrow for dinner, which made Oswaldo rant for 5 minutes about all the cultural food they had in Venezuela and she wants crepes.  That was pretty funny.

In the ward counsel, we had all been in there for a long time and were pretty hungry. Some were more hungry than others so Oswaldo started hugging the paneton.

Ruth's baptism in Huaycan

No comments:

Post a Comment