Monday, August 27, 2018

Week 6 In Hauycan

Emailing is kind of weird because I come to a cyber cafe to do it and literally everyone around me is playing Fortnite. They're actually pretty good at it too. I don't know if you guys knew this or not, but Spanish is a cool language. You think you just called someone a duck? Psych, you just called them gay. They also have a phrase for when that fart wasn't just a fart. You could say Ese pedo salió con challa. Tuna isn't a fish. It's a cactus fruit. Also, Avocado isn't a Spanish word and we eat them all the time, so it's weird to adjust because I totally thought that it was a Spanish word. But this week has been pretty good. I got to go to the temple. Afterwards we went to Domino's. I haven't had pizza in 2 months so I get a little overly excited and bought a lot of pizza. The dogs and I are pretty chill now I guess. The important ones have names. There's Pavo, Pablo (because he's an evil version of Pavo and it rhymes with Diablo), Provs, Sleeping Beauty, Los Perros Blancos, and many more. I also had my first baptism: Cristopher. It was a nice service and the the spirit was really strong. Antonio (the investigator that has been taking discussions for 20 years) also got baptized, but I wasn't able to go to that one. So now I have 2 baptisms. Scripture character of the week: Zeezrom. Why don't we talk about this guy more? At first he was like hardcore against Alma and Amulek, but then he changed and was like their third wheeling homie. Anyways, that's all for now I guess. Have yourselves a good week!

-Elder White


Tuesday
 I took a hot shower this morning.  My first one since the CCM.  I really enjoyed it.  Since the water is heated by electricity, if you got too close to the shower head it shocked you bit. So that was exciting.  I finished up intercambios with Elder Ianni.  I forgot to mention that I got attacked by a pack of dogs last night.  It only scared me a bit because they were the first dogs I saw in Chaclacayo and there was 5 or 6 of them, so I didn't know which one to swing at.  Still haven't gotten bit yet though.  There was an emergency meeting for all the district and zone leaders, so I got dropped off in Huaycan and went with Elder Monzon Casbascango.  We had a few lessons, but really didn't do all that much.  We did a bunch of contacting, mainly in the park.  It was kinda hard to keep track of who the others had already talked to after a half hour or so, so that wasn't quite my idea of fun contacting, but whatever.  We went to piano class tonight.  Then we left from there to go pick up Elder Yanez.  It was nice to see him again after almost 2 days.  We went up to go visit the Carlos family and check up on their reading and stuff.  They're doing ok.  But William was drinking all weekend, so that's not good.  I don't know what else we can do.  We're there all the time and he never reads what we leave with him.  After that we went down to la Capilla for El Yanez to do a baptism interview.  Today was just one of those days where you read 50 pages in the Book of Mormon.
 
 Wednesday
Aaahhh!  Gardeano Antonio Torrealva Cabello!  We had his interview tonight!  It's actually happening!   I am so happy!  He was always quoiting Ecclesiastes 3, saying everything has its time.  Then he said that now is his time!  20 years in the making.  Today was our P-day.  We celebrated by going to the temple.  We only get to go 3 times per year.  It was really nice to go there.  La Molina is almost a US outside of the US, so we went and got Domino's for lunch!  I've been crazing pizza for 2 months.  So I may or may not have dropped 5/73 on lunch.  Worth it.  Just for Elder Yanez and I.  Cheesy bread, 2 giant pizzas and 1.5 L of Inca Cola.  Good stuff.  And I have enough left over for breakfast.  When we got back, we went straight to internet.  We only got an hour in because it was a little late.  We were going to have English class after, but no one was showing up.  Plus, then we got that call from the zone leaders in Chaclacayo about the interview.  They were a little late, so I just pretended to know cars and talked to Antonio who's a mechanic for 1/2 and hour.

Thursday
We had to go back to Chaclacayo this morning for a district meeting.  We should have just had a sleepover with the zone leaders last night.  Nothing overly exciting really happened at the meeting.  We're kind low on bus money right now though, so we're going to be walking more I guess.  We tried going to visit Cristopher when we got back, but he was working again.  So then we went to go visit William and Sandra.  Ssandra's friend, Maria, was there so it was nice to be able to teacher her as well.  When we had finished teaching there, we realized that we still hadn't taken care of the laundry.  So we hustled down and took the laundry to our laundry lady.  After that, we went to go visit the Salinas family, who are almost all old investigators.  They are all pretty nice people.  I feel like old investigators are always either super excited to see missionaries, or are indifferent.  As for inactives, they either do their best to avoid us or are excited.  Kinda weird.  After that we went to go visit Elizabeth and Nicolas, some people that Elder Yanez found while with Elder Carrera.  The first lesson went pretty well, so we're hoping they read the folleto and go to church on Sunday.  Then we went all the way up to Miriam and Juan's house.  Juan wasn't there, so we decided just to teach the 10 Commandments.  He was there for the end though.  Miriam said she'd keep the Sabbath Day holy, so that's a good step forward.  Then they gave us some bread ad tea after.  They're very hospitable people, regardless of how much money they have.

Friday
I got to sleep until 7:30 this morning for once, so that was nice.  Anyways, the first lesson we had today was with the Elders Quorum President, Hermano Palomino.  He actually has a really cool conversion story.  He met the missionaries 15 years ago at a family home evening.  They wanted to meet with him, but back then he left for work at 5 AM and didn't get back til 10 PM.  The missionaries were at his house at 4 AM the next day to teach him.  Now that's some faith and dedication.  Then we went to go visit Cristopher and taught him lesson 5, so he now has all the lessons done and is ready for tomorrow.  I'm excited!  After that we went with Elders Monzon and Cabascango to an FHE with the Salinas family.  Except they thought we said a later time, so they weren't all home.  So we did mini splits and went out and contacted for an hour.  Once in a  blue moon, you'll find a guy that gets really defensive when you ask how he's doing.  It's pretty informal, "Hola, ?como esta?  ?Que tal sudia?"  Then they're like, "Why do you care?  What do you want?"  It's like dang chico, get you and your salty attitude back to the US.  The FHE went really well though.  We taught about the army of Heleman.  I think that it was the first time they had heard that story.  We have an appointment with them later.

Saturday
Well, we had an appointment at noon today with an inactive member.  Except when we called to confirm, he gave us a fake address.  So we went on a 45 minute wild goose chase trying to track him down.  It was mildly aggravating since it was up and down the side of a mountain.  We had lunch and then went up to R to try and find inactive members there.  As it turns out, they've all either moved or weren't home.  Then we walked from there to La Capilla to save on passage.  It took an hour to walk from the end of our zone down the mountain to the end of Huaycan 1.  Longer than I thought it'd be.  We had to be at Cristopher's baptism an hour early.  When 6:00 arrived, it was just the ward mission leader, Cristopher, Paulo and us.  We waited until almost 7:00.  Then we had Braulio and another hermano from the ward come, so we started.  I had to give a thought on baptism beforehand.  Paulo is 18 and preparing to serve a mission, so we had him baptize Cristopher.  I was so excited when it happened that I accidentally started clapping.  He's 18 and says he'd like to serve a mission.  He's as golden as it gets.  Elder Yanez found him while contacting in the street with his old companion.  It wasn't a special contact.  They invited him to church, but he didn't go.  Cristopher saw them the day after and went up to them to apologize for not going.  They set up an appointment and the rest is history.  He was my first baptism.  Antonio got baptized today as well.  I'm going to count him as one of my baptisms as well.  So as of right now at the end of my first transfer, I have 2 baptisms.  Two down and hopefully many more to come.  The spirit is so strong during baptisms.

Sunday
Cristopher got sustained in church this morning, so that was cool.  The Mendoza's didn't come because they had to take Carmen to the hospital because she was pretty sick I guess.  I hope she gets better.  Miguel wasn't there because he had to work.  Other than that, church was pretty normal.  We went to the bishop's house for lunch after.  We had Tequenos with guacamole, which is dang good.  We also had that one dish with the (almost) flavorless gravy.  His kids are super crazy, but a lot of fun.  There's 3 of them ranging from like 4-7.  They pulled each other's hair, pushed each other off chairs and punched each other, all while laughing.  They never cried or complained.  Peruvian kids are just kinda cool like that; they can take a beating and be ok with it.  We went out trying to find members after lunch.  Nicol wsn't home, and neither was the lady in that purple house on G hill.  (Because it's the only hill with plants and it's in zone G.)  Then we went to go visit an old investigator named Cristina.  After that, we visited Cristopher.  Then we took them both to the Carlos' for a noche de hogar.  It went pretty well I think.  Afterwards we played the chocolate game.  I ate more than an entire chocolate bar by myself, so it was a pretty good night.  Wednesday is transfers, so we got a call tonight about that.  I'll be staying with Elder Yanez here in Huaycan2, which basically also guarantees I'll be here for 3 transfers.  I'm down though because Elder Yanez is pretty cool.  Elder Cabascango will be getting a new trainer and Elder Monzon is off to go finish training a pool redhead from my group named Elder Shockley.  So I taught him some random English slang to use.

 The Pizza Boys (Elders Morris, Cabascango, Me, Mabalot, Monzon, Perez, Yañez)
 
 Cristopher's baptism (Elder Yañez, Paulo, Cristopher, Me)

Illiterate Peruvians trying to make a no dumping sign.  It translates to: It's prohibited to leave your trash here.  If someone takes a picture of you leaving trash, your picture will be posted in all public places.

No comments:

Post a Comment